Sunday 11 April 2010

supperclub: near miss or missed opportunity?

Yesterday, the sun did something funny to my brain. After so many months of wet, grey, dreary weather, the sudden appearance of sunshine, warm and golden, was like being hit by a big (squishy) bat of hope and optimism. I was suddenly seized by the desire to do...something! One of my madcap ideas was to hop on a train and get out of the city for the day, to Bath, or Brighton, or somewhere (crazy, I know :P), but unfortunately I couldn't recruit someone to go with me at such sort notice.

Eventually, I settled on West London as my destination of choice, seduced by the idea of drinking Pimm's in a pub somewhere and wandering down Portobello Road, happy-snapping blossom trees and multi-coloured Georgian terraced houses.

However at the time I made this decision, it was lunchtime and I was hungry. So off to Toptable I went, looking for somewhere nice to go for lunch or dinner. Along my travels, I came across a very intriguing looking place called 'supperclub'. At this stage I should have realised something was potentially iffy - after all, any eating or drinking establishment which insists on putting its name in lowercase usually has something to hide. If it were a person it would probably be stroking its beard and peering ponderously at me over thick, oversized black frames muttering something about Sartre.

But maybe that's a bit unfair, so I'm going to let the blurb from Toptable do the talking:


Step inside Notting Hill’s supperclub and you will feel like Alice in Wonderland tumbling down the rabbit hole. All white inside, the supperclub is an extension of a worldwide brand of restaurant which was originally launched by a group of Amsterdam artists. Instead of being seated at tables, diners lounge around on oversized white mattresses while being fed kooky four-course meals by waiters in conceptual fancy dress that would put Lady Gaga to shame. Despite the overly avant garde approach – supperclub is actually a lot of fun and plays a great mix of electronica, camp disco and 80s tunes throughout the night. Fussy eaters beware – there is no menu to choose from – you simply eat what you are served.

Interesting eh? It sounds quite good on paper, but the phrases 'originally launched by a group of Amsterdam artists' and 'overly avant garde approach' rang more alarm balls in my head. Only a few weeks ago I suffered the crushing disappointment of a night out at Shunt, where I was served four courses of 'pretentious wank' with a side of 'attitude', and where 'tunes' were, sadly, strictly off the menu.

Anyway, the google reviews finally clinched it for me - an average rating of 3 stars out of 5, and the 3 most recent reviews all gave supperclub a measly, damning 1 star. Suddenly the prospect of spending £45 at a place described by Fluid Foundation as "not cool, chic or classy in any way what so ever" became very unappealing.

Here is the official website:
http://www.supperclub.com/

What do you reckon? Should I have gone? Should I maybe try it on a Wednesday or a Thursday when there's 40% off? I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who's been before.

Luckily, though, the day was not a waste. I did have Pimm's, and I did happy-snap a blossom tree! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment